What is GERD?
GERD is gastroesophageal reflux. It's when stomach acid comes up into the esophagus.
How does GERD cause damage?
Acid in the stomach can melt a pencil at Ph of 2. Even when it does not come all the way from the stomach back into the mouth, you can get damage in the esophagus where it does not have special lining like the stomach to protect against the acid.
The lungs are sitting right next to the esophagus can be irritated by the acid and cause you to cough.
Acid going all the way to the throat can cause sore throat, mucus and bad taste in the mouth.
In addition to EGD, medication (PPI like nexium and prilosec), H2 blocker (like pepcid and Zantac). These medication will decrease acid in the stomach. You can improve the symptom by changing your eating habit.
1. small portion, smaller portion can decrease pressure in the stomach so it does not go up into the esophagus
2. loose clothing, right bras, and belt can increase pressure in the stomach to squeeze acid up into the esophagus.
3. avoid going to bed 3-4 hours after you eat. If you lie down, the undigested food with stomach acid in the stomach can more into the esophagus.
4. weight loss, too much abdominal fat can cause pressure in the stomach, and overall weight loss is the best way to lose abdominal fat.
3. GERD diet. avoid the following foods that opens the valve between stomach and esophagus,
- caffiene (regular coffee, regular tea, chocolate)
- Citrus fruits/juices
- Carbonated beverages
- Mints (peppermint, spearmint)
- Tomato products
- Fried, greasy foods
- Spicy foods
- Garlic and onions
- green pepper, jalapeno pepper
- creamed vegetables, or creamed soup.
- cake, cookies, buttery pancakes
- pizza, hamberger, americanized Chinese food, Chow Mein, Fried rice
Sample meal (the key of the meal for the next 30 days with mediation is to have small volumn in the stomach, so the meals must pack with nutrition, and protein so you are energized)
Breakfast, 3/4 cup Oatmeal, and 3 boiled egg white, with 1/2 glass warm water
snack, 15 grapes or 1/2 cup berries.
Lunch, 3 oz boiled chicken without the skin and boilded leafy vegatables lightly salted without garlic or onion with 1/2 glass water before and after meal.
Snack, 1/2 cup low fat greek yogurt
Dinner, 3 oz steamed fish without skin, with steamed 1 cup brocholi or califlower and sprinkle 2 tsp of flaxeed or olive oil before serving. 1/2 cup warm water.
Avoid ketchup, salsa, because they are tomato products and you must avoid all tomato products. You can have tea, coffee, soda, juice, so warm water is the only recommended beverage. To maintain a healthy lipid source, a couple teaspoon of healthy oil is recommended.